Cannabinoids are therapeutic compounds found in a cannabis plant or hemp. While there are hundreds of chemical compounds, there are two very popular cannabinoids from a cannabis Sativa plant, THC and CBD. THC is the primary reason why smokers experience that psychoactive feeling or “high”. On the other hand, CBD is responsible for offering therapeutic curing and various health benefits.
If you are a cannabis smoker, there are only two options you want. One will give you the psychoactive effect, and the other one will give you therapeutic healing. In this article, we’ll focus more on the health benefits of cannabinoids, and why are they popular choice for people rather than THC.
Before we start talking about the health benefits of cannabinoids, it is important to know first what are cannabinoids, what do they do really?
What are Cannabinoids?
Cannabinoids are one of two active compounds found in a cannabis or hemp plant. While there are hundreds of chemicals found in a cannabis plant, THC and CBD are the two most popular chemicals in a cannabis plant.
THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol is the psychoactive compound present in the cannabis plant, which mainly causes the psychoactive effects or the “high.”
CBD, on the other hand, doesn’t induce psychoactive effects or mind-altering tendencies for smokers. CBD is a popular choice among smokers who are trying to treat their various ailments without getting or fearing that it may induce them psychoactive high.
How does Cannabinoids function in our body?
How Cannabinoids works are associated with our ECS or Endocannabinoid system. The Endocannabinoid system’s primary use is to regulate substance which your body naturally produces. The endocannabinoid system sees to it that we function regularly and well.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, there are many cannabinoids present in a hemp or cannabis plant; although THC and CBD is the popular one, some cannabinoids also tend to attach to other neurotransmitters to help and aid human functions as well. Each cannabinoid has different impacts on our bodies. For example, THC binds with the brain receptors, causing us to get high when we smoke cannabis, the same goes for every other cannabinoid.
Cannabinoids have far more uses in the body that can’t even think of. One of that primary work of ECS is homeostasis, which regulates some of your body’s vital roles, including:
- Motor Control
- Pain Management
- Memory and Focus
- Immune function
- Body temperature
- Hunger and Digestion
- Awareness of your Senses
Our endocannabinoid system transmits signals to our nervous system to keep our bodily function up to normal boundaries. When you consider everything about it, you would eventually know why cannabinoids play an important role in our body.
Health Benefits of Cannabinoids – All You Need to Know
There is much research suggesting that there’s a myriad of positive effects offered by these cannabinoids. Many types of cannabinoids work differently, but as a whole, they give a lot of positive impacts, that’s why people seek the use of cannabis in their lives. Although THC and CBD can be used in a lot of ways, they can still offer the same benefits regardless of how it is prepared.
Here are some of the current uses of cannabinoids that are known to man:
- Alleviating pain – one of the primary reasons why smokers and patients smoke cannabis. It is to manage and regulate pain from all kinds of conditions. One of the key functions of smoking cannabis in treating chronic pain such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, eye pressure, endometriosis, glaucoma, Crohn’s disease, and neuropathy. Marijuana use is a good alternative when other pain medications aren’t working.
- Inflammation – inflammation is associated with different kinds of diseases in a human’s body, including Crohn’s Diseases. For conditions that have inflammation in them, cannabinoids are a good alternative to reduce inflammation.
- Antibacterial – some of the cannabinoid compounds present in the plant offers a ton of use, some of those cannabinoids have great antibacterial properties in them that work effectively in killing bacteria. Most of the time, they are a better alternative for conditions that are often resistant to antibiotics. And for additional treatment, cannabinoids also have anti-fungal properties in them.
- Appetite Stimulant – although smoking marijuana gives you munchies, it has great benefits for users too. Especially good for people who lack the appetite of eating food, one way to regulate stomach functions is given by the cannabinoids, they can also be of use for people wanting to gain weight.
- Sedative – not only do cannabinoids stimulate munchies, but they also provide the sedative ability for people suffering from insomnia. Insomnia may have debilitating effects in humans if not treated accordingly, and for people suffering from insomnia, smoking marijuana can benefit them highly. However, take note that there are thousands of Marijuana strains out there, and marijuana may work differently with other people too.
- Antispasmodic- one of the more popular uses of cannabinoids is to treat muscle spasticity or spasms. A certain condition such as epilepsy, reducing seizures. For people wanting to have a good way of life from epilepsy, they constantly seek the medications of smoking cannabis.
- Reduce intraocular pressure – people turn to Marijuana for wanting to alleviate eye-pressure caused by the condition called Glaucoma. Which, in turn, gives relief and provides a swift effect.
- Antidepressant – while certain cannabinoids such as THC may induce anxiety and paranoia, there are also some types of cannabinoids that have antidepressant abilities. For users, smoking Marijuana helps with their mood. Good ability for people going through depression and anxiety caused by stress.
- Antioxidant – certain types of cannabinoids seem to have antioxidant effects in our body that help our body eliminate free radicals in our body that may cause us not to function regularly.
The use of Marijuana has risen due to its therapeutic benefits. That’s why it is important for smokers to know about the health benefits of cannabinoids for them to have a greater understanding of how marijuana treats our body. In this case, they won’t be left ignorant of Marijuana’s positive effects on our body.
Lastly, thanks to the legalization of Marijuana, we can enjoy a good smoke of Marijuana plus its healing abilities. Happy smoking!