It is very common for indoors and outdoors grown cannabis plants to show stretchy stems. This may not be easily recognized for sometimes it disguises into a slightly large stature of the plant, but the yield will be much noticeable.
Come to think of it; stretched cannabis is far more costly, for it will need a lot of extra energy and effort to tame, which will be tackled in this article.
A cannabis plant that has an elongated and stretched stalk and stems are the torment of any new marijuana breeder. The situation doesn’t provide a stable and firm base for a marijuana plant, for it builds a fragile branch, which leads to influencing the plant during its growth and have the risk of bending over.
But take note of this, the stretchy arm is quite hard to reverse, but most growers would rather replant than to avoid any extra efforts in training. Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent this dilemma, so fully read this cover to give your ideas on taming and fixing before it will cost you more than effort but also when it comes to finances.
Reasons Why Cannabis Plants Have Stretchy Stems
When it comes to reasons, there are three major common ones that are known, but unfortunately, it can never be prevented even will all your efforts and knowledge. There are several factors that influence why marijuana plant stretches out, and some of the reasons are:
- The location of the cannabis garden doesn’t have a stable temperature, which can be very high or low conditions
- Inappropriate lighting time that varies in many time.
- Nutrient in the soul is not sufficient for the garden or for the marijuana plant.
- Marijuana plant’s genetics, especially if parents were grown indoors in a crowded garden, thus result in a very competitive trait.
- The cannabis’ distance from the light.
- The spacing of the marijuana plants in a crowded garden
- Lighting provided is not enough.
Understanding the SARP or the Shade Avoidance Response Phenotype, which simply means the plants reaches and stretches to grasp light that is taken by cannabis, in which we called often as competition.
As part of nature’s way, cannabis plants sense a drastic change in the HPS lights; if red lights reduce, then, the competition starts. As for starters, timing and temperature are the vital factors to succeed; that is why the SARP happens.
Lastly, newbie growers must learn to identify that some strains, especially the Sativa races, especially the pure ones, grow tall even with indoor or outdoor environments and not because of the stretching stems.
Ways to Prevent Your Cannabis Plants From Having Stretchy Stems
Now that we have already found out about the reasons, then let’s discuss how we are going to shift the problem and make way to ensure that it will be prevented in one way or another.
- Pay attention to the humidity needed for bigger and larger cannabis plants. During the flowering stage, keep the relative humidity by half or by 50% and lessen the impact of molds, which is why investing in a humidifier and exhaust is a good idea. Especially if cannabis is filling up your garden, which results in lower humidity.
- Having a good air circulation tends to healthier leaves as well as the stems, for it makes them more firms and controls the growth. Remember that a better circulation can give more space for cannabis to move, which leads to wider stalks and the lower tendency in growing tall and stretching
- Reducing light intensity for the cannabis plant is a must to prevent it from growing tall and stretching. In fact, to understand more, blue light is great for short and stout stems while the red and orange light is for the slender and tall stems.
- Another way to avoid stretching is when the metal halide lamps are used in a cannabis garden, most especially for the vegetative stage.
- Using infrared light can help control stretching in cannabis plants. You can get this done easily by covering a heat lamp reflector with a black cloth. The cloth traps red lights, so it is best to have this light during the flowering phase.
- There should be a 2 inches distance between the strain’s space from the right amount of light, and this can be done by using the CFL bulb. While when using the HPS, 40 inches is the decent space from the seedling.
- Take note of the locations or your regions at different times, where some may have a shorter day than the night, which means the lesser the day time leads to stretching of the stem will likely happen. And this happens too with areas that have tropical climates, cannabis grown in outdoor must have longer nighttime to prevent from stretching.
- Stretchy stems can also be prevented by reducing the number of lighting hours in a day.
- Managing heat to deal with the stem growth can also be practice because the temperature has a great influence on how stem increases in size. So it means that this problem can be solved by air-cooled lamps.
- Pruning may be the most common thing, but this actually works in reducing stem stretching. By trimming off, it will help the branches to grow well.
- When growing cannabis in a more garden-like set-up, this will lead to stretching, for the lesser the space between them lead to a wild competition.
- Do the lollipops to help the lower level buds get more some of the sunlight they deserve and remove the ones at the top. This is done by picking out leaves from the bottom; in this way, energy will be more focus on the top.
Fixes for Stretchy Stems of the Cannabis Plants
There might be situations when the prevention did not work; therefore, you will sort some ways to fix the stretched plant. Now, there are few fixes that can be done guaranteed to work for some.
- If the stretching happens during its vegetative state or during the first two weeks of the flowering phase, use blue lights to lessen it. This can be quite easy, but this will be the best move to save more from your garden.
- As soon as you notice the symptoms, stop providing nitrogen nutrients to cannabis. Rather, manage it by giving a lesser ratio of at the beginning of the flowering phase, to level the nitrogen at an average.
- For growing indoors, use an oscillating fan to simulate natural movements, which will be a reason to have healthier stems.
- Now for major cases, nurse back your plants by planting them into the ground to give it a firmer base and for stems to have a stronger stature. You can always transfer them to other pots.
- Many breeders think initiative by using stakes to ensure the improvement of the plants. Yarn and fabric can be used as a stake. This is done by tying up leaves around the stretched stems but soft until it recovers. This is great for greenhouses where you can tie them up on a screen.
In fact, some growers would use a stake made out of wood, such as bamboo, or it can be with plastic, then tied up using the tape or tie to make sure that it is sturdy when attached. A little point when using a stake, make sure that the attached stem of the cannabis plant won’t be damaged.
Remember that this is done in order to support a stretching stem and refrain them from growing and not to kill them.
Conclusion for Stretchy Stems
All in all, with the stretchy stems problem, if this can be dealt with right away, there will be no very significant harm or problems that can’t be solved. In fact for some breeders, they use any type of thing that stands as long as it can support a drooping stem because if overstretching until the cannabis plant stem will be stronger enough to handle itself
Remember that, that suggestion might work for other breeders but not exactly in general. So far, a technique that will work best would be to scoop out the marijuana and plant it in another pot or to another hole but much deeper and bigger than the first one, but make sure that the plant itself won’t be harmed especially with the thin roots.
Replanting will be a fresh start for new buds and shoots to grow. Provide a better environment for the reborn marijuana plant, direct sunlight if opting for outdoors, and a great lowered intensity light for indoors.
Indoor lighting can be well provided by using the HID lights, LED, or even a CFL; all these lights are good options but should still be controlled.
The first set of leaves will soon be seen as soon as marijuana fully recovered. By this time, all the growth is more focused on the leaves that are starting to show and not with the stem. Energy is guided to provide chlorophyll, which in turn encourages even more enhanced photosynthesis. Thus, leaving the new plant a great chance of survival