As early as the start of the 21st Century, there had continuously been some drastic changes in the way people began to accept and embrace marijuana for what it really is. Whether it was out in the West Coast region or the mid-Atlantic area, US states have really begun to reform and amend their various cannabis laws.
A few years back, it was generally impossible to use or even possess cannabis without the risk of getting into trouble with the law. Now, in this day and age, the majority of the US states have decriminalized the possession of small amounts. Heck, a handful of them have even legalized marijuana for either medical or recreational purposes! Now, what exactly do you need to know about buying marijuana seeds in the United States? Read on for more information.
US States That Have Legalized Marijuana
At the federal or nation-wide level, cannabis still remains illegal across the whole United States. This means that under federal law, partaking in any activities involving marijuana were subject to penalties, fines, incarceration, and misdemeanor/felony charges. The US Government was able to achieve this through the initial approval of the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937, thereby making marijuana illegal at a federal level. Subsequently, the passing of the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 officially classified marijuana as a Schedule I Drug for its addictiveness and negative effects.
However, many US states have adjusted and tweaked their marijuana policies at a state-wide level, thereby making it authorized for consumption for either medical or recreational purposes. Many states, however, have only achieved decriminalization with regards to recreational use, often reducing possession of marijuana to a civil infraction as opposed to a criminal act.
Here is a list of the various US states, along with Washington D.C., that legalize marijuana for medical purposes:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
Furthermore, there are also some US states that have authorized the use of recreational and adult use of marijuana:
Keep in mind, however, that the rules and regulations governing the different cannabis activities will vary depending on each state. For example, the purchasing and possession limits in Alaska may not be similar to those limits found in Nevada! As such, both citizens and tourists must first familiarize themselves with the different policies in order to avoid any run-ins with the law.
What Is The Cannabis Scene Like In The USA?
While it will depend largely on which state you are located in, people from outside of the USA can, more or less, imagine what the weed scene is like in the Land of the Free. Known colloquially as a country where the rights and demands of its people have always been heard, the push for cannabis legalization in the US of A is one of the most progressive there is.
This has attracted the likes of tourists to come and visit certain states primarily for their cannabis scenes! Here are some interesting facts about the USA’s weed industry.
The possession of cannabis for either medical and recreational marijuana is allowed only by adults who are of the minimum age requirement, regardless of which state you are in. Now, depending on the state, this could either be 21 years old or 18 years old. For those medical patients under the age limit, they are required to have their respective caregivers (usually their parents and/or guardians) administer and carry their supplies for them.
The possession of marijuana and other cannabis-related products is actually met with some very lax policies in the US. In fact, don’t get too surprised if you see some casuals carrying around a few joints here and there. Here are some of the possession limits found in certain states:
- Alaska: 28 grams for both medical and recreational use
- Florida: 113 grams for medical use
- Hawaii: 133 grams for medical use
- Illinois: 30 grams for both medical and recreational use
- Maine: 70 grams for both medical and recreational use
- California: 28 grams for recreational use and 226 grams for medical use
- Washington: 28 grams for recreational use and 85 grams for medical use
The states of Washington and Colorado are known particularly for offering what is known as cannabis tourism. This generally refers to a form of drug tourism that lets visitors explore and partake in different cannabis activities and festivals that happen in the states. Furthermore, the state of California is also known to be a hotspot for weed smokers and everyday stoners across the whole country. The West Coast also boasts many marijuana seed banks and weed strains that originate from the Golden State. Needless to say, there are quite a number of states in the US that are quite forgiving when it comes to marijuana consumption.
Occasionally, you will find certain shops and lounges that are permitted to entertain in-site cannabis purchasing and consumption. Don’t worry about smoking up some of your weed in these places as they are licensed to offer such services. Additionally, many festivals and celebrations are carried out across the country to both celebrate and advocate for the continuous development of cannabis reform. Festivals such as the renowned High Times Cannabis Cup Awards, Emerald Cups, Seattle Hempfest, High Life, and Kushstock are some of the most highly awaited cannabis events anywhere in the world!
You will often see many visitors and tourists partake in these festivals as they allow the public consumption of cannabis, free taste tests, seminars, games, and loads of other great activities centered around pot smoking. Of course, aside from all these, it is still important to maintain a safe and smoke-free environment for the public. One established standard that many regions in the USA share is to keep public places with crowds of people away from pot smoking. This means that people are usually prohibited from consuming marijuana in churches, schools, parks, malls, and the like. Additionally, driving while under the influence of cannabis is highly illegal and will result in criminal charges, regardless of which state you are in.
Home cultivation of cannabis plants for personal use and consumption is something that many people have started doing inside their own private homes or backyards. While growing weed is something that still remains illegal at a federal level, a number of states actually allow the cultivation of plants up to a specific number. However, not every state that allows cannabis cultivation and consumption will allow you to grow your own marijuana plants. It is also important to know that some of these states only allow it for medical purposes.
Now, it is quite evident that there are certain states that display a very ideal and optimal climate for cannabis plants to grow in. Aside from licensed producers and distributors who are allowed to commercially develop weed, there are places that authorize cannabis enthusiasts and citizens to plant their weed seeds.
For example, California is one place where anyone above the age of 21 is allowed to grow up to six (6) plants per household, regardless of how many adults are living in it. The long hours of sun and warm climate out in the West Coast should give growers little trouble with fluctuating temperatures. However, in cold areas such as Colorado, indoor growing is a more recommended choice. An adult aged 21 years or older is authorized to raise a maximum of six (6) plants with only three (3) of them being mature. But if a household contains numerous adults, twelve (12) plants are allowed to be grown. Other states may display similar rules for both recreational and medical purposes. Again, it depends on the regional policies.
USA – Marijuana Statistics
To give you guys a brief idea of what the US deals with in terms of cannabis throughout recent years, here are some interesting stats about America’s marijuana scene:
- As of 2017, there are over 15,000 businesses (big and small companies) that offer cannabis services and products across the whole USA. These businesses include medical marijuana clinics, medical consultations, marijuana seed banks, weed dispensaries, and cannabis museums.
- In 2016 alone, people from all across the United States made legal investments in cannabis-related portfolios. The total amount of investments placed into the cannabis industry alone during that year amounted up to 480 Million US Dollars. The year 2016 opened up countless opportunities for cannabis-centered establishments to operate legally across the country.
- California is, by far, the state with the largest number of cannabis smokers and consumers (both legally and illegally) in the country. In the year 2018, a total of 5.6 Billion US Dollars was spent in the market for marijuana and other cannabis products.
- From 2017 to 2020, a total increase of 1.19 Billion US Dollars was seen in the overall tax revenues gained from cannabis sales.
- Ever since the easing of cannabis rules and regulations during the 2010s, there had been a significant increase in the use and possession of cannabis. For example, Washington saw a staggering increase in the growth of its cannabis industry by up to 250% in 2015. Nevada’s cannabis scene also grew exponentially by up to 130% in 2018.
- Since the year 1976, up to 45% of the released patents related to cannabis by the United States centers around the study and research pertaining to the cannabis plant. Another 25% made up patents pertaining to medical treatments and pharmaceuticals.
- The ongoing trend of marijuana consumption in the USA indicates that an increase of 1.2 Billion US Dollars per year will happen up until the year 2025.
Conclusion – Buying Marijuana Seeds in the USA
Keep in mind that the purchasing and distribution of weed seeds is entirely different from buying buds and flowers from local weed dispensaries. Unlike flowers, weed seeds have more to do with the cultivation policies of a state. So before you plan on heading down to your local weed dispensaries or online shops to order some weed seeds, take the time to study about the cultivation rules in your state.
Overall, the legality and possibility of purchasing weed seeds in the USA will depend entirely on where you are. If you are buying weed seeds in the country, make sure to purchase an amount that can grow within the limits of the law. When ordering online, make sure that the importation of weed seeds is met with lax and flexible policies in order to avoid any problems. Of course, you can always opt for reliable and fast-shipping marijuana seed bank at Sunwest Genetics to deliver your packages with stealth and discreteness!