As cannabis cultivators, we need to understand a lot of things. Likely, from planting, harvesting, to even drying of it. There is a lot of concepts and principles to learn about it. Nonetheless, it is crucial for any cultivator to know how many seeds should be planted in a particular area. There are a lot of factors to consider upon it to ensure the growth of a healthy cannabis plant. We don’t want to compromise things just to maximize the number of cannabis we plan. Also, we don’t want to take for granted and plant less cannabis in your area. That is why this article will discuss to you things that we should remember considering the number of seeds that we are going to plant in a particular area or location for cannabis.
Outdoor Cannabis Growing
Cultivating cannabis outdoors is quite tedious especially if your place has a lot of judgmental neighbors who sneak around watching your cannabis or if the planting space that you have is quite limited. There are a lot of factors and risks that you need to consider when growing marijuana outdoors.
However, you should remember that it is not advisable to put your seeds directly and plant into the backyard. It is economical and practical to let the seeds sprout first in a small container before transferring it outside.
But then, after growing out seedlings, the challenge now is growing it outside. It is important to ensure the safety and the exposure of your plants to direct sunlight. Cannabis thrives for sunlight to grow out healthy and to get numerous buds and flowers.
Other than that, you’ll need to consider the space of your backyard. Grow out cannabis in such a way that it won’t get congested. For vegetables, it is conducive to have 18-36 inches gap between two plants to avoid nutrient competition. This is also essential to keep things organize and systematic as needed.
But then, you will have the choice on planting outdoors. You could use pots on planting or take an open field for it. Either way, here are the advantages and disadvantages of each method of planting marijuana that you should know.
For pot planting,
- Your plant is readily and easily transferred from one place to another. This is extremely helpful if you have extreme weather disturbances or if there are further inspections going on within your house. Using pots, you could easily hide on your cannabis
- You could take control of the rate of growth of the plant with this method. If you want a short stature cannabis plant, then you could employ small pots in order to limit the growth of its roots. Otherwise, if you want to make your cannabis towering and tall, then you need to put it in a large depth pot for it to maximize its roots.
- Quality could also be readily adjusted when you have planted it in You could easily transfer the plant to a new soil or pot. Also, pest management is much easier when you handle pots.
- The growth of cannabis is entirely limited and not maximize as you need it to be.
- Since it is easily transported, it is also vulnerable to thieves or anyone who could take interest with your cannabis.
- The plant will have limited reach to soil nutrients and groundwater so it is essential to add fertilizers to carry on this problem.
For open field,
- There is an unlimited access to soil nutrients and groundwater for this case.
- The roots are free to grow which means a full potential of growth on your cannabis plants.
- There is a low underlying cost when you plant in an open field. You don’t need to buy pots in order to grow with it.
- The plants are not easily transported. This is liable to extreme weather and infestation of molds and pests that could destroy your cannabis plants.
- Consistency also is an issue. You cannot ensure uniformity of soil in terms of its quality.
Indoor Cannabis Growing
Growing cannabis indoors as known is quite costly. You need to maintain out a lot of things in order to get good quality of cannabis plants. Another disadvantage of growing cannabis indoors is that space is limited that is why it is a challenge for a grower to utilize the space needed. The following are factors that you’ll need to consider when deciding how many cannabis plants that you’ll grow out indoors. Respectively, the following includes;
- The Space for Cultivation
You need to remember that the first thing you think when deciding how many plants you will plant on is the allowable space for planting. Containers should be well kept and organized in such a way that they’ll have air to breathe and space to grow.
- Type or Size of Pots and Containers
Unlike the outdoor, you don’t have any option on this part but to plant through pots and containers. Choosing container size needs to think of well especially if your planning to plant indoors where the space is quite limited. For assurance, start with small containers and then, transfer it to big containers when it got big. Likewise, you could search on the internet or ask someone regarding the maximum height growth of the cannabis strains that you’ll be using. By then, you could evaluate how large the container of the plant you wanted.
- Grow Lights
Since you are growing indoors, you’ll need to consider also the light that it will get to each plant. It is recommended to generally utilize not more than eight plants on a single grow light. Likewise, this depends on the type and size of light you’ll be using. In order to measure the light footprint in the planting space, you will need a cheap flux meter. This is quite helpful to examine the number of plants needed for cultivation.
- Consider yourself
Indoor planting needs time, effort, and an investment. Before planting out a lot of cannabis, you need to look at yourself if you could do it given the timeline, the money that you have, and the detailed checking up on it.
If you have a limited space or you don’t have access to much soil, then you could try growing through hydroponics. This new technology on cannabis cultivation has been used by a lot of marijuana growers now. This technology does not use soil upon growing marijuana and distribute the essential nutrients through mineral nutrient solutions attached to the plants. This is quite expensive and demands a lot of time but extremely beneficial especially to indoor planting.